Thursday, June 30, 2011

Review - Good Karma (9th & Pine)

928 Pine St. (between 9th & 10th St.)
267.519.8860
Website, Yelp, Google Maps
Everyday: 7 am - 10 pm

[Editor's note: this review was written by a guest blogger, Yoo Jin]

I moved to Philadelphia about two months ago. Since then, I have been desperately searching for a new “go-to” place. Finally, after so many days of aimless wandering, I think I may have found my second home.
It took me awhile to find this place because it does not show up on Google search. Only the location of the original Good Karma comes up. So, I would not have known about this relatively new franchise if I had not stumbled upon it.

Hidden in the residential area of Society Hill, it just comes out of nowhere with its bright yellow-green storefront. I remember physically stopping from across the street and thinking I've been transported to some European city. I first noticed the patrons sitting outside and leisurely enjoying their afternoon. Behind them were two glass windows, through which I could see the bright, spacious interior. Young people who appear to be students, couples, families with kids, and even dogs bustled in and out through the open door.
Once inside, I was pleasantly surprised by the temperature. With the front door open to the street and the backdoor open to a private garden, it is well-ventilated and cool even without air conditioning. Maybe, it’s just me, but I prefer a natural breeze to freezing, artificial draft.

There are plenty of seating and outlets for those of you who like to study at cafes. The wifi internet is, of course, available and free. I really liked that the tables are large enough for all my books and gadgets. The music is relatively unobtrusive and in good taste. (I may be slightly partial here since they were playing one of my favorite bands.) And, despite the kids and dogs running around, the atmosphere is calm

The coffee was not bad. I was impressed that they had soy milk out as an adjunct at no extra charge. They also offer bottomless mugs for $3, which is a great deal if you are a caffeine junkie like I am. And, for non-coffee drinkers, they also have a variety of Italian sodas, smooties, teas, and bottled drinks. Their pastry and food selections are above average. I had one of their black and white cookies, which was excellent! I haven’t tried any of their food. But, a lot of customers were eating bagels and croissants sandwiches that looked delicious. You can also buy small bags of fair-trade coffee beans to make your own cup at home.

To top it all off, the small but lovely garden in the back provides a pleasant escape from the city. Sitting under the shade, I felt as though I am in a friend’s backyard. Wifi still works out there though there are no outlets. There is also a large room that can be reserved for group study

If I had to be nit-picky and point out the minor negatives, I would have to mention that the place only accepts cash. There is an ATM machine inside, however. (It charges $1.50 for withdrawal.) And, few of the tables are little wobbly.

Overall, I love this café. Not only is it inviting, it is also eco-friendly and socially responsible. Like its name, there is really good karma emanating from its space.

No comments:

Post a Comment