Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Review - Gold Standard

4800 Baltimore Avenue
215.727.8247
Website, Yelp, Google Maps
M - Tues: 7 am - 8 pm, W - F: 7 am - 9pm, Sat: 8 am - 9 pm, Sun: 7 am - 8 pm


[Editor's note: this review was written by a guest blogger, Norma, who also wrote the view for Cafe L'Aube.]



The first of many great things about The Gold Standard Cafe is that it's really two cafes in one. When you first walk in, there's the self-serve area in the front where you can get a cup of coffee to go, or sit down with it and know you'll be left alone to study or have a conversation with a friend at your leisure. Then, there's the larger dining area in the back, where a host or hostess seats you and a server takes your order from a fairly extensive menu.


The self-serve cafe: I mentioned there are many great things about Gold Standard. Not only is it clean and well-lit, I love how there's always plenty of seating, both indoor and out. Maybe it's the time of day when I'm usually there (late afternoons on Sunday), but I appreciate how I can almost always get a seat inside near the wide window in the front and spread my things out. And since it's not crowded, it's also quiet. The only thing I wish they would fix is that the front door slams shut, and if you're not expecting it, it can be very jarring. For the more diligent patron, there's free wifi and the occasional outlet.


They serve La Colombe (my favorite!) but for some reason their iced coffee was only decent, so I'm guessing they don't cold brew. I've had better, but I've also had worse. I will say that they make a mean chai latte that has become my go-to. Also, be warned that if you're there in the summer, they do have A/C but they don't blast it like the larger corporate coffee chains will and so it can get warm.


Dine-in cafe: In short, the service is slow but the food is solid and in most instances, worth the wait. For breakfast/brunch, I'd recommend the omelet, french toast, or for lighter fare, the lox. For sandwiches, I liked the reuben and turkey waldorf.


The Gold Standard is conveniently located on Baltimore Ave, right along the Route 34 trolley.


4 beans

2 comments:

  1. Not related to this post in particular but because of your blog I think you might find this interesting: this is an eye-opening talk by Kyle Glanville at the Nordic Barista Cup with regard to his philosophy of having cafes and serving really good coffee. Definitely watch the whole thing: http://vimeo.com/28233399

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ironically, I live a block away and have never been there... I heard the breakfast food is good but not the other stuff. Untrue?

    ReplyDelete